1. Three slow, deep belly breaths can work wonders to calm your nerves.
2. Focus on experiences rather than material things.
3. Take care of yourself first (think of the airplane oxygen mask analogy). It is o.k. to say no.
4. Minimize your time with people who stress you out.
5. Nutrition is important.
6. Exercise is too! Research shows exercise is as effective as antidepressant medications.
7. Getting a massage or taking a hot bath are great stress-relievers.
8. Recognize what you do and don’t have control over.
9. Avoid or minimize alcohol, especially in situations where you are not with people
you trust and feel safe with. And remember that alcohol is a depressant.
10. Get support – from friends, family, or maybe a counselor or support group.