12 Steps to Relieving Stress
Life could be a lot more manageable if we were to relieve as much stress in our lives as possible. Allowing stress to take over can result in the inability to concentrate or focus, the inability to think clearly and make good decisions, destructive mood swings, and health conditions that can eventually lead to death. It’s important to take care of YOU so you are able to take care of others and take control over your life. And, if there are major issues that are holding you back from leading a happy life, counseling can be very beneficial. Here are some helpful ways to manage or eliminate stress.
- Breathe. Practice long, deep breathing filling your diaphragm with air. “Breathe in calm (through your nose), breathe out tension (through your mouth).” Practice daily.
- Be still and quiet, or pray. Learn how to quiet your mind at least once a day.
- Exercise. Exercise increases endorphins in our brains for a lot of positive benefits. It is recommended to exercise at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes for the most benefit.
- Laugh. Incorporate laughter into your life on a regular basis. It’s impossible to be stressed and laughing at the same time.
- Stop. Turn off the negative “stink’n think’n.” Turn all negative thoughts into positive ones.
- Affirm. Use positive affirmations to affirm what you want in your life.
- Gratitude. Identify what you are grateful for each day.
- Balance. Set healthy boundaries with family, friends, colleagues, or other situations in your life.
- Splurge. Do things to take care of yourself. Get a massage, a manicure, take a hot bubble bath, etc.
- Prioritize. Make a list of your projects and create a realistic time frame for each.
- Sleep. Sleep is crucial in managing your stress. Women require no less than 7 hours of sleep per night.
- Play. Find fun activities to participate in that bring you joy!